Initially an area to hitch wagons and horses, the spot was modified to a small park around 1921. Parks are often controversial, and this small piece of land was no exception since merchants preferred parking. Perhaps a compromise was reached at the time the park was created; parking surrounds the park.
Early postcard show deciduous trees surrounded by horses and wagon. Later, redwood trees were planted, possibly when the park was established. These have suffered over the years. By 2013, it was determined that one of the three redwoods needed to be removed.
Additional parking, for motorcycles, was carved out of the park in 2014.